Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Too Nice? No Such Thing.

I had a person recently tell me that I was too nice.
This person wasn't a friend but wasn't a complete stranger either.
The main reason this person pointed this out to me though wasn't so much about me as it was about how it made them feel about their behavior.  My being nice would then force them into being nice and apparently this was not something they wanted to be and therefore felt the weight of guilt come down upon them. Even though they fancied themselves to be kind and compassionate, being forced to be mean to me by me in order to get me to go away, made them feel bad.
Got all that?
It's confusing isn't it?
I was confused.
I learned a long time ago there are only two types of people in this world:
nice people and assholes
and we get to choose which to be at any given moment
if you aren't being nice then guess what, buddy?

I choose to be nice in most situations because I have had a lot of people be assholes to me in my life and it is not fun.  If I can make someone smile or laugh or feel good about themselves, I'm going to do it.  If you choose to be an asshole, that's 100% on you.
Own it.

I was given this on a flight earlier this year and this is why I am nice:


























There is way too much sadness, pain and injustice in this world to go around being an asshole.  I am going to be nice. I am always going to try my hardest to be nice - sometimes I may get upset - especially when someone tries to make me feel bad for being a nice person, but ultimately I even forgive that person for being a dick to me and feel horrible that I became upset.

I try to keep a handle on my emotions but once I open up to someone and begin to care about them and they in turn become an asshole, I get a little disturbed by that.
Do you not believe you deserve kindness?
Do you feel that it has to be reciprocated?
And if so, are you unable to be nice for no reason?

Be honest with me. Honesty is kindness.
Most people don't want to be honest because they falsely believe that withholding information is nice to that individual - but it is really delayed doucheyness. You are only trying to protect yourself and your feelings and that makes you an asshole!

I have also decided that I have very little time for negativity in my life any longer.  If you choose to see life as a series of horrible events that are happening to you and you take that out on everyone around you - asshole.

I have been through some horrible shit in my short life and have been able to maintain a relatively positive outlook.  Being an asshole accomplishes nothing.  I know people who have had horrible things happen to them as well - some turn into assholes because of it and they will never get over it - but the ones who have chosen positivity and kindness are the ones I choose to hang around with - and they are the ones who know the true value of life and how to live it.

Ultimately, kindness and being nice is a reflection of the love we see in the world - and Love Always Wins.

No comments: