Saturday, September 22, 2018

Pain: It's Really Not Cool.

As many of you are aware, I have an inoperable cervical spinal cord injury.
This little gem is a gift that keeps on giving.
The past few days it has been incredibly troublesome - not the injury itself but the mayhem it causes when creating bizarre signals with the brain.
Every day since 1999 I feel like someone has struck me on the back of the neck with a baseball bat.
(with the exception of that one time in California with a brownie that we won't discuss here)

So why am I discussing this?
Well, I have a new issue.
The last few nights I find it has been impossible to sleep due to the extreme level of lower back and abdominal pain even after taking a handful of pills (which I hate doing) I couldn't make it stop.
It's like a belt of intense pain!
That level of pain is very taxing on a person's attitude and sanity.
You have no concept of when or if it is going to stop or at the very least, ease up a bit..
Last night, however, I realized that when I was standing (to go get more pills) the pain subsided substantially.
Well now I have a new problem to solve:
How am I going to sleep standing up?
(I already work standing up)
Tonight I am going to try sitting up to sleep and see if that helps.
I hope it is the answer I’m looking for because pain can take you to a pretty dark place.
If you’re not careful, staring down into that bottle of pills can look like the quick way out.

No comments: