Friday, August 2, 2019

No Such Thing as Free Lunch?

This week has been crazy; maybe it's because it was the last week of Mercury Retrograde or maybe it was just weird because sometimes that's how life is.

My job was a bit stressful, well probably more annoying than stressful.  It takes quite a bit to stress me out, especially at work.  I also had an issue with my useless fucking ovaries causing unbearable pain just for the hell of it. So all in all a pretty miserable state of affairs.
But being the optimist that I am, I want to point out the bright spot in all of this daily drudgery –
I have not had to pay for one of my meals at work this week – breakfast or lunch.
Why?
I dunno.
The cafeteria people are good folks.
There are two employees that I have an affinity toward because they like to chat, as do I.
One of them pointed out, we are all Geminis.
(This really is not about astrology)
The fact that we know each other's birthdays is the actual point.

Every morning I greet the Security guard when I walk in unless she is quicker on the draw.
Every evening when I leave there is a different Security guard who is much younger and I always say Goodnight to her and sometimes stop to check out her latest nail art or compliment her when she has done something really cute with her hair.  She also sometimes beats me to the punch but always has a great smile and lights up when we speak.

I consider all of these people my coworkers.
We are all in the same building working toward a common goal.
Each a specific cog in the wheel that makes the UPS machine run.

The fact that I receive free meals and hearty greetings from these particular coworkers, makes me think that not everyone views them in this light and that makes me sad.
We are all equal in my eyes.  Some of us may make more money or work longer hours but we are human, regardless of race, sex, social status or whatever – we are human and we need other humans.
Deep down we all desire the same things.
I love that these coworkers talk to me and take the time to engage during our brief interactions.

Tonight as I was leaving, I was thinking about how much fun it might be to have a beer with these coworkers; one on one.  Find out more about them as people.  Laugh with them and find out about their lives outside of the office.
We all have lives outside of work.
We all have common ground.
I just wish there was more time in the day to explore it.
I also wish more people would realize this basic fact.

Say Hi to the people that serve you and whom you serve.
We're all only here for a short time.
Let's make it awesome for each other.
Those seemingly small gestures by those coworkers this week made the difference between me having a shitty week and me being able to make it through.
So, thanks.

No comments: